Blueberries Are a Gals Best Friend

Saturday, July 05, 2008

Inspired by Sheldon Brown

Ok - so, it has been 2 years since I have posted anything here.  I never was a very consistent diarist. (sp??) journaler(??).  At any rate, this evening my DH passed along a web site of a man named Sheldon Brown (link attached in title above).  Sheldon had a love of everything related to bicycling and bicycles, for a start, and was also an accomplished photographer, traveler, and avid reader, lover of cinema, and of music.  To read the extensive posts on  his blog is a joy, and I find that I share many of his tastes.  Sheldon left this world on February 3 of this year, after having just decided who he would vote for in the upcoming primary (according to his journal).

Sheldon began his online journal in 1998, and kept it up faithfully for 10 years.  I have recently heard other people talk about their commitment to keeping a journal over a number of years, and I am inspired to give it another try.  It took me forever to even find my way back to my own site tonight!  

It is apt that I found my way to Sheldon's site tonight , thanks to Todd, after having taken my youngest son's new bike for a spin around the neighborhood, and in the process, doing a complete body plant as I came in at a 1" curb at too shallow of an angle.  I still imagine my self as that young girl who could ride her bike for miles and miles along the coast of Maine where I grew up.  Granted the traffic patterns, and road space are MUCH different in my urban Cincinnati neighborhood than in my small home town - which requires a much more defensive riding approach (or so it seems to me at least) - perhaps it just takes getting used to.

Todd helped clean out my scrapes the minute I got in the door, and then I iced my knee, and took some ibuprofen  - feeling much better now.  It was a mellow independence day other than that - lots of rain, and temperatures in the mid 60's very mild weather for this time of year.

After dinner, Todd, Josh & I watched episodes 165 & 166 of Star Trek Voyager.  Episode 165: Distant Origin,  was about a scientist who made a discovery about his species' origins that went against the prevailing "Doctrine" - which had been in place for 20 million years.  Not surprisingly the politicians were intent on suppressing this information, despite data supporting the scientists claim.  We had all seen parts of this episode before, so had some interesting dinner table conversation before we watched it about how this type of response to new data is treated by the establishment today, and had a good discussion about the relative responsibilities of voters and politicians to engage in informed dialog about new data & ideas.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home