Blueberries Are a Gals Best Friend

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Commute Fauna

Yesterday, as I waxed poetic about my commute UIHC (Under the Influence of Honey & Cinnamon).....and as this continued on my way home, I was struck by the diversity of wild  (and not so wild)-life that I encounter every day on my drives to and from work.  Yesterday, I saw a rabbit hopping off into the grass on my way to work, and on the way home encountered a Hawk of some kind (dark body, with brown & white flecked tail) sitting on the road, some chickens trying to cross the road (one day as I passed their farm - they  actually HAD crossed the road....WHY?? dunno - but I think the grass looked greener!)  Also on the way home today, I saw a cat stalking something in a high mound of grass, and tonight in our neighborhood, I stopped for a Weimaraner who thought that the middle of the road just the BEST place to stand.

Other animals I have seen on my commute include quail (first time I have ever seen in the wild), deer (fairly common), wild turkeys, albino peacocks (at the chicken farm) and possum & raccoons (usually which have  not fared so well crossing the road).  Considering this is a mere 20 min from downtown Cincinnati, I think it is pretty amazing to see so much wildlife.  Where I work has blessedly escaped the threat of Urban Sprawl - I hope that it can stay that way!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home